Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Do Whatever It Takes

I wonder what kind of lifestyle changes other people are making in order to get healthy, and stay the course? I have made some pretty big changes in my life in order to get back on track towards better health. About eight weeks ago I had a conversation with my husband that went something like this...

Husband: You mean just turning the television off won't be enough to keep you from watching it?

Me: Nope. I think we need to cancel the Netflix as well.

Husband: So, that should do it?

Me: Better remove the television cables as well....and hide them while your at it.

Husband: Ok baby doll, I love you.

This was a huge first step for me. I had gotten into the horrible habit of watching a movie every night after putting my child to bed. Something about television makes me want to eat. I was the kid who always ate in front of the tv. In fact, I think every binge I have ever had was while watching the *fat box* as I like to call it (no offense to any tv lovers out there). I could easily pack away 2,000-3,000 cals during a movie. So, I have a 62" blank screen dominating my living room. I barely even notice it anymore.


My husband, daughter, and I live in a small condo. Right next to the 62" blank screen sits my giant, hulking beast of an elliptical. I love my elliptical, and it is affectionately named Optimus Prime because it folds and looks like a Transformer. The elliptical occupies the space where I *would* put my Christmas tree. I love Christmas, but I love life even more.

Also, I have stopped going to restaurants, drive-thrus, or getting carry out of any kind. At this stage in my recovery I find all prepared food to be overly stimulating. I think being able to eat one taco or something, and then stop is an advanced skill. I will probably work on this at some point well into the maintenance stage, but I feel it is so much more important to protect the progress I have made so far.

One final big change I have made is in my environment. There isn't a spec of unhealthy food in my house. I'm trying to create fail safe surroundings. This was no easy task. My husband is very supportive, but would still sometimes bring tempting food into the house (mostly on the weekends). I had to swallow my guilt and ask/explain to him several times that being around the tempting foods was jeopardizing my progress. I told him that I was sorry that having a pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer was just too much for me at this stage, but it just is. Could he give me some time to get healthier and stronger? He agreed.

I know a lot of couples struggle with that last one. My hubby still slips with this sometimes, and I keep asking/explaining. I think we have gotten to a point where we are on the same page. I'm grateful for this. It really helps.

There's a whole lot more, but the above are just a few examples of the ways I have tweaked my lifestyle in order to keep shedding the weight. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Angie!!

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog, and for the very kind award. :) I am horrible about making lists about myself, but I will do so and pass the award on to others.

    It sounds like you are doing an amazing job with regaining your health, and taking off the weight! I'll be excited to follow along as you do.

    Best wishes!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see...

    We used to go out 3 times a week to eat, now maybe we go out every 2-3 weeks, and it isn't to our usual haunts (mexican, pizza).

    We also shop at the Farmers Market and Whore Foods/Sprouts, since they really don't have any tempting food there. It is more expensive, but will be worth it in the long run I think.

    I also try not to eat dinner later than 7 and last snack/Medifast meal later than 9.

    And we don't want cooking shows or commercials if we haven't eaten.

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome sum-up quote:
    **I think being able to eat one taco or something, and then stop is an advanced skill**

    That did it for me. I love the way you write, and your hubby sounds just like mine.

    keep it coming!
    x bunny x

    ReplyDelete